Samsung unveiled their new flagship device, the Galaxy S4, at a live event in New York City today. Here's a quick rundown of the specs and all of the new features that you can expect when you finally get your hands on one (whenever that will be).
- 5" 1920x1080 Super AMOLED Full HD display with 441 PPI
- 2GB DDR3 RAM
- 1.9GHz quadcore Qualcomm processor or 1.6GHz eight core Exynos processor (depending on market)
- Onboard 16/32/64GB internal storage with microSD slot
- 13MP rear camera, 2MP front camera
- Bluetooth 4.0
- 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi
- MHL 2.0
- 4G LTE radio
- IR sensor
- Humidity sensor
- Android 4.2.2 with new TouchWiz skin
- 2600mAh battery
- 136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9mm dimensions, 130g weight
- Initially available in Black Mist and White Frost
- Launch in April and availability in 155 countries
Here's the first video they've put out after the event, showcasing some of the new design specs and advanced features.
Now, let's get into the specific features...
Some on the coolest new features involve the camera, so let's dive in.
Dual Camera: The Galaxy S4 will allow users to use both front and rear cameras at the same time.
- Video call/chat and show off your location at the same time
- Never be left out of pictures again just because you're the one taking the picture
Eraser: At a busy place with lots of people in the background? No more photobombs!
- Take multiple pictures to build a composite and choose what you want removed in the background
Drama Shot: Create moving pictures - gifs - in 4 seconds flat.
- The camera will take 100, yes, 100 pictures in 4 seconds and form a gif. Endless possibilities with this feature.
Sound & Shot: Send personalized messages with your pictures.
Story Album: Easily create albums without even thinking about it.
- The S4 will if you want to create albums based on your GPS location, whether the pictures are taken in a certain time frame, and more.
Samsung built on it's awesome "S" features from the S3 and Note2 to bring us a slew of innovations.
S Translator: Speak directly into your S4 and receive instant translations.
- Currently supports 9 languages.
- Can translate text, whether written or with a picture with Samsung's Optical Reader.
S Heatlh: Monitor health stats with various accessories.
- S Band, Body Scale, and Heart Rate Monitor.
S Voice Drive: A new type of car mode that you can interact with.
- Read, answer, and reply to texts and calls.
Air Gesture: Accept calls, change tracks and more with a wave of your hand.
Air View: The S4 turn your finger into an S Pen.
- Preview emails, images, videos and more by hovering your finger over the content.
Smart Scroll: When you are finished reading a webpage, email, or book, the S4 will automatically scroll to the next page.
- The device will utilize the front camera to detect when your eyes are at the bottom of the page.
Smart Pause: When the device detects that you have taken your eyes off the phone, it will automatically pause the video you are watching.
WatchON: Turn your S4 in to a TV remote.
- Can work for home theater units, DVD players, and more.
- Access interactive programming guides.
Adapt Display & Sound: Personalized settings so that you always have optimal viewing and listening for whatever you are doing.
The S4 will utilize various connections to enable sharing and collaboration in new ways.
Group Play: This feature will allow you to enjoy music, photos, documents and games with those around them without requiring a cell or Wi-Fi signal.
Share Music: One of my favorite features, Share Music allows up to 8 devices to play the same song. Each device can be separated into different channels for a crazy surround sound experience.
And these aren't even all of the new features, but we'll try to dive into those in a later post. If you have any questions or want to share your thoughts, head over to our forum!
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions.